As the New York Times points out, in the Financial District, there is a pedestrian bridge to nowhere …for the moment, at least. The footbridge over Trinity Place between Rector and Thames Streets used to connect Trinity Church to the parish house, which was demolished last August.
The current bridge weighs about 45 tons. The east end is carried on two curbside columns. The west end is carried on structural steel that was integral to the old parish hall and has been left in place to bear the load, with additional cross-bracing. New structural supports will be installed this fall (NYT).
The 85-foot-long bridge – built in 1989 – currently suspends 19 feet 8 inches over the street, terminating at the now empty lot across from the churchyard.
Not for long! This bridge, inspired by its 1866 cast-iron counterpart by St. Paul’s Chapel up the street, has been preserved to connect to a new parish building designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects. GMS is serving as both the structural engineer and building envelope consultant for this new building.
The tower will include two mechanical levels and the upper 16 floors of the building will be leased to tenants. The lower portion (podium) of the building will be used for the church’s program areas, containing specialty spaces including TV production, meeting rooms, libraries, music practice rooms, loading dock, food service areas, conference centers, class rooms and offices. The Trinity Street façade will contain the bridge entrance 21’-6” above the ground floor level.