For over a decade, GMS has collaborated on restoration work at the Thurgood Marshall U.S. Courthouse, providing structural engineering services to the General Services Administration and Cauldwell Wingate.
More than 175 people celebrated the restoration of this landmark at the 26th annual Chairman’s Award luncheon. The event was held at the landmark Metropolitan Club and guests included New York Building Congress President Dick Anderson, Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, Landmarks Preservation Commission Chair Robert Tierney and the Great Granddaughter of architect Cass Gilbert, Helen Post Curry. Former Chairman’s Award honorees were also in attendance including John Belle, Frank Sciame, and Milo Riverso.
The Thurgood Marshall U.S. Courthouse, at 40 Centre Street, was completed in 1936 to the designs of Cass Gilbert and his son, Cass Gilbert, Jr. It is a New York City Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places. Despite its significance, the Courthouse suffered from decades of inattention and insensitive modifications. But in 2013, it emerged from a comprehensive five-year, $314 million renovation.